Implementing family friendly policies is a business strategy having a dual outcome: it can help you achieve organisational effectiveness along with employee well being. While some measures are no doubt rather costly for most organisations, even small initiatives can make a huge difference and positively affect the bottom line of your business.
What does family-friendly employment mean?
Simply explained; a family-friendly employer recognises the family responsibilities of his/her employees and how they (responsibilities) impact the employees’ working life and productivity. A family friendly organisation seeks to facilitate reconciliation between the staff’s work and personal responsibilities. This makes the staff feel supported and helps them better balance their work and personal lives.
What’s in it for the employers?
While the benefits for employees of family-friendly organisations are obvious, there are actually many hidden benefits of such policies for employers as well:
- You enhance your capacity to attract a wider range of candidates – both men and women – in a competitive job market.
- You get reduced absenteeism and tardiness
- You benefit from the enhance productivity of employees
- You reduce your attrition rate which in turn reduces your hiring costs
- You create and maintain a competitive environment
How to achieve the ‘family friendly organisation’?
Each workplace is different and unique in terms of its needs. The main challenge in achieving a family friendly organisation is to seek to match the needs of the staff with those of your organisation. If needed, you could do a complete assessment as a starting point for designing best practices. Here are some tips that can help:
A commitment to these practices and a work culture supporting family-friendly values and encouraging the use of those practices is critical.
Ongoing communication and employee participation is a must when designing policies of family friendly practices. Likewise, a dialogue between employees, managers and their representatives is essential when developing tailored family friendly practises.
Suitable training and guidance must be given to managers who often have the responsibilities of implementing these practices in order to ensure that these measures are used appropriately.
Childcare arrangements may not be useful to employees without kids. In such a case, organisations might need to think of cafeteria approach to benefit plans so employees can choose from benefits that are most suitable for their needs.
- Cost-benefits analysis
Many family friendly policies are inexpensive but some could be costly for the organisations. It is very important to undertake a cost-benefit analysis to carefully weight and balance against long term benefits from your organisations’ point of view. It is imperative to note that all family friendly practices cannot be expected to produce immediate results.
Implementing family friendly policies should be seen as an ongoing activity and constant evaluation and review is imperative. Since, the needs of the staff and organisation’s objectives are constantly changing along with their external environment, all such factors must also be considered.
To assist you, here is a brief checklist and summary for promoting family-friendly practices in your workplace:
- Survey needs of your business
- Survey your employees to find out their needs
- Identify general agreement for the aim of the family friendly programme
- At the earliest stage, engage employees and listen to their concerns
- If needed, collaborate with trade unions
- Document all implemented policies
- Train and demonstrate business and employee benefits to all parties
- Always weigh long term benefits against costs of implementations
- Establish channels for open and ongoing communication
- Make sure all policies are available to everyone in the organisation.
I hope this overview of family-friendly practices and measures can help you successfully implement them in your workplace.
NB: If you’re an employer or an employee looking for a recruitment company who understand the benefits and savings associated with family-friendly aware personnel, then give me a call or check out our website. All Force Labour Solutions should be your #1 choice when needing labour hire in Perth or if looking to work for a company with a difference.
At All Force Labour Solutions, we take the hassle out of your staffing matters.We listen to your needs and place candidates that are suited to the required position, highly skilled in the appropriate areas and are also medically fit-for-work, reliable and capable.Our screening process ensure only the best quality candidates make it into our considerable talent pool so that our clients have fast staffing solutions when you need them most.
We are also an employer of choice for workers looking for an employer with a difference.Being from a large family and understanding the challenges of work-life balance, we understand this and ensure that it’s a priority in our workplace and for our employees.
All Force Labour Solutions should be your #1 choice for quality labour hire workers as well as for those workers who want to engage with a company who cares about nurturing long-term relationships.
Latest posts by Martin Conroy (see all)
- Post-Holiday Blues and How To Get Your Employees’ Mojo Back - January 6, 2016
- Holiday Parties: How To Avoid Potential Employer Hazards - December 9, 2015
- The Nature Of Family Friendly Employment - November 4, 2015